Canada officials said on Wednesday that the garbage which was sent to the Philippine a few years ago will take back to Canada this year by the end of June.
Environment Minister of Canada Catherine McKenna said that they have given a contract to French shipping giant Bollore Logistics Canada that will take the 69 containers which are full of household waste and electronic garbage.
McKenna’s department said in a statement
“The Company will begin preparation for shipping in the coming days. The removal will be complete by the end of June, as the waste must be safely treated to meet Canadian safety and health requirements.”
It is expected that the garbage will be taken away in Canada by the end of summer.
Salvador Panelo, a spokesman for Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, arranged for a press conference earlier on Wednesday to announce that Duterte the president has ordered officials to search for a private shipping company to transport the garbage to Canada.
Panelo said in the press conference that “If Canada will not accept their trash, we will leave the same within its territorial waters or 12 nautical miles out to sea from the baseline of any of their country’s shores.”
Added that “The president’s stance is as principled as it is uncompromising: The Philippines as an independent sovereign nation must not be treated like trash by other foreign nations.”
Last week Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that Canada has been working hard to resolve the problem as soon as possible though he didn’t mention the exact time.